Monday, May 27, 2013

Why My Sudden Obsession with Exercise and Diet?

I don't know if it happened one day, or over a week, a month, or even a year, but I suddenly found myself feeling uncomfortable doing everyday things.  Like crossing my legs felt awkward, or it became harder to reach around and unbutton or unzip clothing.  My clothes still fit, but they were snug. 

I was talking with a friend, and we did the math.  If a person gains three pounds a year (doesn't sound like much, does it?), over a ten-year period, that's thirty pounds.  If he or she happens to keep that momentum going, over twenty years, that's sixty pounds.  So, I happened to find myself somewhere in between.

Then I began to look around.  I found that it's not just me.  Young and older alike, there are a lot of my companions out there who have gradually let the weight add on.  Similarly, I have allowed this to happen to my son.  In  the summer of 2010, he had an accident and broke his hip.  That summer he was sedentary; therefore, he put on a few pounds.  We thought that he would easily work them off as soon as he became active again.  He's a soccer player and runs a lot.  However, it hasn't been that easy for him.  Paired with the fact that he enjoys video games and junk food, I have realized that it's time to do something for him before it's too late.

I want to encourage others to jump in here with us and make a lifestyle change.  You don't have to be overweight to reap the benefits of healthier eating habits and exercise.  There are all kind of benefits:  more energy, clearer skin, enhanced coordination, social opportunities, etc.

Bicycling is just one venue, but it's my choice!  It has given me greater confidence.  I'll ride on the streets now, and that scared me to death in the beginning.  Always keep in mind that extreme caution must always be observed when you are riding where there is vehicular traffic.  There is absolutely no room for error!

Bicycling is most fun with a friend or in a group!  The most fun that I have had is riding downtown when the traffic is almost nonexistent.

So, I'm in this for the long haul.  I've lost ten pounds so far, and I don't feel uncomfortable crossing my legs anymore!  As I gain more confidence I want to use the bicycle to commute more.  Texarkana is not a very bicycle friendly city, but I want to wisely choose the places that it's safe enough to ride.  Riding the Nix Creek Trail to the Farmer's Market on 9th Street is awesome! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tonya! I found you through the AR Women Bloggers SW directory. We are in the process of creating an affiliated group here in SW Arkansas. I want to invite you to join us. Right now we are using Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SWARBloggers) to get organized. Would love to see you over there and get to know you!

    ReplyDelete